CSS TALLAHASSEE / ATALANTA BLOCKADE RUNNER The iron hulled Confederate cruiser Tallahassee was named after the Confederate state capital of Tallahassee, Florida and was built on the river Thames by J. & W. Dudgeon of Cubitt Town, London ostensibly for the Chinese opium trade. She was previously the blockade runner Atalanta and made the Dover-Calais crossing in 77 minutes on an even keel considered an impressive speed for the day. After Tallahassee was commissioned and prepared for sea, she was placed under the command of Captain John Taylor Wood, CSN. The officers and crew were all volunteers from Confederate gunboats on the James River and North Carolina waters. She made a spectacular 19 day raid as far North as Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Tallahassee destroyed 26 vessels and captured 7 others that were bonded or released. After the end of the civil war, she served as Susquehanna and flagship of the North Atlantic Squadron. She was decommissioned at the New York Navy Yard on January 14, 1868 and sold for scrap in 1883.