Commissioned in 1938, the Tone was the lead ship of her namesake class of heavy cruisers. She was 189.1m in length, and was powered by 4 turbines which allowed her to reach a top speed of 35kn. She had a range of 8,000 nautical miles at a 18kn cruising speed and was armed with 8 x 20cm/50 3rd year type guns (4 twin turrets), 8 x 127mm guns, 12 x 25mm AA guns, and 12 x 610mm torpedo tubes and also carried six floatplanes. During WWII, the Tone was present at many of the major Pacific Theater engagements. At the beginning of the war, the Tone was present during the attack on Pearl Harbor and also went on to see action at the Battle of Java Sea, Battle of Midway, Battle of the Eastern Solomons, Battle of Santa Cruz, Battle of the Phillipine Sea, and the Battle of the Leyte Gulf. In July, 1945 the Tone, along with most of the surviving large Japanese Navy warships, was based at the Kure Naval Arsenal. On July 24th, Task Force 38 launched a large scale air raid on Kure and Tone was hit by three bombs which sank her.
- 1/350 scale plastic assembly model kit of the Japanese Heavy Cruiser Tone.
- You can choose to build either a waterline or a full-hull display model.
- Kit includes reinforcing frame parts and screws to enable accurate assembly for both waterline and full-hull models.
- Display stands for the highly detailed aircraft models are included to allow you to create a flying diorama.
- The bridge windows and searchlight lenses are depicted with transparent parts.
- The masts and radio posts are made with reinforced ABS resin.-Features metal-plated screw shafts and metal parts for anchor and chain.
- Machine gun parts feature a laser processing for a sharper, more realistic finish.
- Parts are included to depict main gun barrels at different elevation levels. Polycaps enable switching of gun turrets as well as free turret rotation for a variety of displays.
- Compliment of floatplanes included
- Add greater realism to your model with Item 12622 1/350 Crew Set (144pcs.).