The Magister was the first purpose built two seat trainer aircraft in the world. It was a very good trainer jet with the French trainer having its first flight in 1952. Nearly 1000 Magisters were built and many were exported to many countries. The Magister had a distinctive V tail design. Development of the Magister came to an end when the French Air Force selected the Alpha Jet as their new jet trainer to succeed the Magister. The Israeli Air Force operated a licensed built version, the IAI Tzukit. While principally a trainer, it was used in the 1967 Six Day War by No 147 Squadron as a close support aircraft, attacking targets on the Egyptian front during the first day of the war, when Israel’s more capable combat aircraft were deployed on Operation Focus against Arab air bases. The Belgian Air Force operated 50 Magisters as primary trainers. The aerobatic team The Red Devils also used them as display aircraft. A small number of Magisters remained in use until September 2007, as flight maintenance aircraft for senior officers.